Fixing some long-standing bugs?

Certain bugs like coercion breaks when reusing schemas, nested arrays with schemas, and inheritance doesn’t work right have been around for a while.

Some of those tickets make reference to dry-validation getting some love in the near future but those comments are about 7 months old.

I’m willing to take a stab at fixing some (all?) of these issues since I am running into them too. But I don’t want to do the work if it’s already in progress or there is some secret plan to refactor or rewrite before 1.0 drops.

I’m also a bit worried that the type_specs support isn’t going to stick around particularly since the documentation for it isn’t even linked by the main docs page!

Advice? Work to fix these bugs or wait for primary authors to reveal their plans & schedule?

I know it’s unfortunate but I didn’t have time to maintain 0.x and instead started working on a rewrite for 1.0

There’s an official plan to rebuild dry-validation on top of a new project called dry-schema. There’s an open PR with a new implementation of the schema DSL known from dry-validation, and I’ll do my best to wrap it up before the end of the month, and then move onto remaining tasks.

It’s actually the opposite - type specs will become the default API in dry-validation 1.0.0, this is how it works already in dry-schema.

Yes, please stay tuned. I’m really sorry it’s taking so long, and that I didn’t manage to work on fixing issues in dry-validation. My time is much more limited than it used to be.

You may want to check out this post where I outlined a rough idea for dry-validation 1.0.0. I hope we can ship it before the end of the year.

1 Like